Tom’s Midweek Greeting
Crossroads Community Church
August 13, 2020
Dear Crossroads Family,
I’m looking forward to going further into the joy letter of Philippians with you this Sunday! We’ll be in chapter two of Philippians, and we’ll consider the “hard work” of joy!
Mike Mason, in his book Champagne for the Soul: Rediscovering God’s Gift of Joy, writes, “Joy is the proper work of the Christian. We must get over our feeling that joy is impractical, unachievable, or unworthy of our best efforts. People who are chasing money do not view their goal this way. Why should we who pursue a goal immeasurably more precious?”
Come Sunday and let’s see how Paul was encouraging the Philippian Christians to enter into the pursuit of God’s joy! We’ll meet at 10:00 at the Y for fellowship, worship, and teaching. I’m looking forward to it and hope you are too! The sermon will also be posted on the Crossroads Facebook page Saturday evening for those not able to come on Sunday.
Some Notes from Sunday’s Elders Meeting
We had a good elders meeting last Sunday. I appreciate the thoughtful, prayerful leadership of our Crossroads elders. Thank you for praying for our meeting. Here are a few notes from it:
We discussed, and prayed over, needs within the Crossroads family.
Several ministry and fellowship opportunities are on the horizon for the fall season :
- Monday Night Bible Study (in person at the Reas, or via Facebook Live) will start again on Monday nights beginning September 14 at 7:00.
- Home Group to resume once per month at the Rodriguez home, for all adults and youth who wish to come.
- Crossroads Connection (our monthly carry-in meal with time for fellowship and sharing), is scheduled for September 27, immediately following worship.
- The Cottey College welcome event, at which we usually have a stand, has been canceled this year. An informational flyer is being prepared which will include information about Crossroads.
- Other outdoor fall fellowship events are being planned.
- A Men’s Camp at Riverside Cowboy Church, September 18-20, is being planned, with a possible follow-up study on a regular basis later in the year.
- We would like to resume nursery care for infants and toddlers during the sermon time on Sundays starting in September. Would you be willing to be on a team to help serve people in that way? If so, please let me know! We’ll be trying to put the team in place as soon as we can. Thank you!
- We discussed the idea of adding a Missions Team to help us give an emphasis on local and worldwide missions.
Samuel will be headed back to College of the Ozarks tomorrow, then Esther on Monday. Thank you for your prayers for them and for all of us as our family spreads out again.
I will be back at Nevada High School starting Tuesday, August 25, at the school this year Monday through Friday from 9:30 am until 12:20 pm. I’m really looking forward to reconnecting with students and staff at NHS, and I ask for your prayers as I serve there!
My plan is to have some personal Sabbath time on Friday and Saturday afternoons this year. As you know, I feel strongly that the Lord has wired us to need regular time during the week to refresh and re-connect with Him. These two segments of time during the week seem to be the best for me and allow me to be fresh and ready for Sunday. It’s my goal to have everything in place for Sunday morning by noon on Friday, then to use Saturday morning to review, tie up loose ends, etc. Thanks for helping me stay fresh and observe regularity in Sabbath!
Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you. Psalm 55:22
See you Sunday!