Tom’s Midweek Greeting
Crossroads Community Church
August 15, 2019
Hello Crossroads Family!
So much is going on in our lives, and as we head into the start of a new school year many in our congregation face a variety of personal joys and challenges. I’m reminded of Romans 12:15 where we are instructed to “rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.” As you become aware of what’s happening in the lives of others at our church, let’s remember to enter into the joys and sorrows of life as a body of believers. Someone will be rejoicing…and weeping…with you, too.
I have several post-it notes attached to the bottom of my computer monitor that, for the past year or so, have been a help to me in staying focused and spiritually renewed during times of challenge. Maybe one of them will be a help to you.
Post-it Note # 1
Five principles to hold on to against fear (from 2 Chronicles 20, the story of King Jehoshaphat):
- the Word of God
- the character of God
Post-it Note # 2
“Everything that happens fits into a pattern of good for those who love God.” (paraphrase of Romans 8:28)
Post-it Note # 3
- Surrender (four things which, if cultivated, help bring us peace)
Post-it Note # 4
- “In acceptance, there is peace.” (Elisabeth Elliot)
- “Concerning the future, trust God and do the next thing. What duty lies nearest at hand?” (Oswald Chambers)
- “Send students, Lord, until this place is filled with men and women through whom you can glorify Yourself throughout the world.” (a prayer of Oswald Chambers for a Bible school he led, and a prayer I’ve used for Crossroads)
Post-it Note # 5 has things like…
- Clean out email.
- Wash windows.
- Clean blinds. (Slowly but surely some things are being crossed off that Post-it Note!)
God is faithful. Over time we see His plans working out in our lives and in the world. And we also see that the principles we’ve learned in the Bible and through faithful teachers of the Bible actually do show themselves to be true.
I hope you have a great end of the week! I am praying for you during this busy season! It will be a good one for us if we put into practice some of these post-it note principles.
I look forward to seeing you Sunday! We’ll continue to think about being an outwardly focused Scrappy Church. We’ll build on our sermon from last week concerning sharing with others the single greatest gift they could possibly receive. Specifically, we’ll consider some misconceptions we have sometimes about the Gospel itself, and the sharing of it with others. We tend at times to complicate the message when actually it is so simple and so free! See you Sunday morning at 10:00 !
Some things coming up this fall at Crossroads. (Please be in prayer, and also mark your calendar!)
- Barbecue after worship on Sunday, August 25th. Everyone hang around for a bit! We’ll grill hamburgers and hot dogs out in the parking lot at the Y! Bring a side dish and/or dessert, and lawn chairs if you wish. Everything else will be provided.
- Crossroads table at the Cottey College welcome event for new students, August 24.
- Back-to-school party for kids, September 6, 5:30-7:30, at the Dahmer’s **contact us for directions**.
- Start up of Sunday morning Adult Bible Study, September 8, 9:00-9:45.
- Congregational Meeting, September 15. This fall we will need to eventually put together a Nominating Committee and also prepare a 2020 budget. Other fellowship and outreach efforts to be planned.
- The Big Serve, September 28-29.
- Home Group start-up at the Rods, September 25 **contact us for directions**.
- A representative from our local Birthright is interested in coming to a Sunday service to share more about their ministry in Nevada.
- Men’s discipleship & fellowship this Monday evening, August 19, 6:30-8:00, at Precision Coffee. All men are welcome!
- Many others are involved in small-group Bible study and discipleship, and also Young Life Nevada! Let’s pray that God gives rich spiritual growth and outreach in all of these connecting times!
See you Sunday!